A Parental Note on raising Trishit and his journey to Tohoku University
We never knew when Trishit was born on the 22-Nov’97, that he would be leaving us to pursue his studies overseas even before he turned 18 !
The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world. Trishit’s mother inculcated in him right from his toddler days the good habit of listening to stories from the Ramayana, Mahabharata, etc., when Trishit could not even speak fluently. These were read out by his mother. When she taught Trishit to read, she lit a fire; Every syllable that was spelled out was a spark in his life.
Trishit’s first exposure to school was St. Mary’s, a pre-school located near our house where Trishit attended his Nursery classes. Then he spent his 02 kindergarten years at St. Joseph School. From Std.1, he joined Birla School, Kalyan affiliated to the CBSE Board. We did analyse schools before deciding to admit him to Birla School. The main factors that decided in choosing Birla School, Kalyan was the board (CBSE), teacher-student ratio, ease of commuting and ofcourse institution reputation.
Like any other child, even Trishit was interested in gadgets like PlayStation and X-Boxes, but we never allowed any of these to enter our house. We wanted Trishit to read. Read as much as he could, and continuously fed him with books which had nothing to do with the school syllabus. Reading, expanded his horizons and opened up a new world for Trishit. One thing lead to another. The advantages of reading are well known but seeing Trishit grow up with books we realised that how much reading had influenced his life. Apart from Knowledge, Vocabulary Expansion reading also helped Trishit in building up his character, concentration, creativity, pragmatic thinking, value system and evolve his writing skills. We consider reading imperative in today’s world as it kept Trishit away from digital distractions. Wear the old coat and buy the new book. Trishit’s greatest passion was books and only books. Everything else was secondary.
Reading enabled him to hone his writing skills. Trishit wrote his first poem at the age of 6-½ when he was in his second grade. His passion for writing grew with every passing day.
Tohoku University, Japan : Japan is famed for its discipline and impeccable punctuality. The roads in Japan are smoother and cleaner than Aishwarya’s cheeks! This is the nation that houses Tohoku University a world class University, ranked 28th in the world in Chemistry and 6th in materials science. An University which produced 06 Nobel Laureates in the last 10-years!
Since the founding of Tohoku University, the emphasis has been on research and the motto of the University is “research first”. This is based on the belief that top class researchers will be able to provide a high standard of education. They are a competitive, cutting-edge chemistry and materials science research facility. They put emphasis on creative research, which can open new fields and have a high social impact. In Tohoku, one can learn chemical knowledge which you won’t find in chemistry textbooks yet. Scientists at Tohoku University are involved in the development of new medicines to help fight cancer, new materials for renewable energy and other exciting research, which could improve quality of our lives. With the small class sizes, well equipped laboratories, and instructors who are world-recognized in their respective fields, Tohoku University is the ideal place for Trishit to start and further his career in Chemistry.
You can read more about Trishit in his Blog and Website :
Trishit – Chronology of the Dawning Years
- Wrote his first poem at the age of 06-½
- University of Oxford : On 09-Mar’11, received a positive review for his poetry
- Meeting and Interviewing Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam : On 23-Dec’11, Trishit got an opportunity to meet renowned scientist and former President of India Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam in New Delhi
- Times Junior Editorial Board (TJEB) : Was selected for TJEB to make the special Republic Day edition of The Time of India dated 26-Jan’12. A certificate was awarded. Had been a part of Times Nation, and worked at the Times of India office from 16.30 Hrs. till 23.45 hrs. on 25-Jan’12 to bring out the special 26-Jan’12 edition.
- Meeting and Interviewing Mr. Arup Patnaik – Former Commissioner of Police, Mumbai : On 17-Mar’12, Trishit got an opportunity to meet and interview Mr. Arup Patnaik – Mumbai Police commissioner in his Crawford market office.
- The Junior Writer’s Bug Literary Festival : Was selected as a panellist on the discussion on ‘Young Authors’ held at St. Anthony’s School, Chembur, Mumbai on 22-April’12
- Times NIE Star Correspondent : Was among the 30 students selected as a Star Correspondent by Times of India. Was among the top 06 students selected as the Best Star Correspondent and felicitated with a certificate and a trophy at Birla Matoshree, Mumbai on 08-Jan’13.
- Secured 98.6% marks in Std. X (CBSE) (March, 2013). Scored Centum (100/100) in Science and Social Science. Interview published in Times NIE dated 13-June’13.
- Selected as the School Captain for the academic year 2013-14.
- Published his maiden collection of poems “A Little Bud Learns to Blossom”. The book was launched on 11-Jan’14, at the Delhi Poetry Festival
- Meeting Mr. Vineet Joshi – Chairman, CBSE : Met Mr. Vineet Joshi at his New Delhi office on 10-January’14. Presented a copy of his poetry book to him and the letter of appreciation received from school
- Poetry Book in 3 Frankfurt Libraries : Trishit’s poetry book had been evaluated and have found a place in the shelves of 3 libraries in Frankfurt, viz ; Frankfurt International School, Frankfurt Public Library and ISF Internationale Schule Frankfurt. This is in addition to The National Library, Kolkata and Delhi Public Library.
- Trishit was a part of an elite group of meritorious students who participated in Jenesys 2014 programme in Japan held from 11 to 17-Nov’14. He was among the 41-boys selected by HRD Ministry from all over India.
Tohoku University, Japan : Trishit has been selected under the FGL Program (Future Global Leadership). Under the FGL Program, Trishit shall be studying Advanced Molecular Chemistry (AMC). This is a 04-year under graduate course. 07 students from all different countries have been selected this year for the AMC course.
Trishit is the only student selected from India and the only student to be awarded 100% scholarship (scholarship includes academic, admission, tuition fees and living expenses for the entire course) in the entire batch. Trishit is also the youngest in his batch. (Trishit will be 18 on 22-Nov’15). The Scholarship includes the prestigious President Fellowship, awarded exclusively to Trishit this year. His classes begun from 01-October, 2015.
Trishit will have access to more than 100 labs and will be left spoilt for choices to pursue his academic endeavours in the Land of the Rising Sun !
It is truly said that the more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.
Both the above statements have so rightly found a place in shaping and grooming Trishit’s life.
– Kunal & Madhumita Banerjee